Friday, February 22, 2008

Torco Oil

The picture in front of Torco Oil was taken in 1971; it was the year I picked them up as a sponsor. I was with them a lot of years, what great people they were, I use to love to go pick up oil because they gave me a little of every thing they had. I had tried all other Oils, Torco was the only one that looked like oil after a run and didn't separate. It was just a different color. I sometimes didn't even change the oil after a run if I was short on time for the next round. They use to buy me a 55 gallon drum of Nitro every year. That fairing, Harley had Wixom Fairings make that for me. What a mess that was, I had to take my bike to them and they had it for three days, they sprayed this foam on to make a big giant glob on it and trim it with tools to form the fairing, split it down the middle put it back together and had the mold. I watch most of it, it was really something. That's a Harley Sprint front wheel, anybody remember that bike, if you owned one you sometimes left it on the street with the key in it, but it was always there next morning. The rear wheel was a Tri--ump, Boris Murray use love that. The rat on the fairing has its foot on a rat trap, keeping it from springing, the bait is a twin Tri--ump. Boris Murray hated that. I never ran that Fairing much, mostly on exhibition runs, I didn't really like it, it cause the bike to dart around and it was hard to keep the front end down. Boris and I had a Match race in Portland Oregon one year and the track had a dip in it at 1000 ft. The first run the thing came down so hard the front wheel took out a section of the fairing in the front, what a ride that was. But it did attract a lot of attention. You have no ideal how much I loved to ride that little bike

No comments: