Sunday, February 24, 2008

Still Wheelie Bars

I'm sure some bike events the spectator stands have a lot of local loyal people that come to watch street bikes run, that's good. But at a large event where there are different classes of pro bikes and top fuel bikes and you are sitting in the stands and all the pro classes are done and the street bike classes are called to staging why do the stands began to empty? Don't get me wrong I not against "no wheelie bar" racing, I did it all of my racing career. But don't tell me they are what make spectators, been there, done that. Personally it hard to call some of those bikes street bike, some are going as quick as I went on my Top fuel bike in the 70's and the guys that ride them without wheelie bars are either awful good or nutz. I can understand if the track has nothing but really fast street bikes with no wheelie bars, maybe the spectator is waiting for that wheel stand to see if the guy can make it, that could draw some fans.
My Example: You could have 50 bikes of different classes, and have 100 spectators, throw in 10 Fuel Bikes, get another 100, throw in 10 Funny Cars get another 100, throw in 10 Top Fuel Dragsters, get another 100 and in my day, throw in 10 Fuel Altered and get another 500. The more variety of pro stuff you have the more spectators you have and still when the street stuff comes to the staging lanes the stands began to empty. It's been that way since drag racing started.
Wheelie bar or no wheelie bar, just have a class for each. I think it's kind of hard to discuss because we have the V-Twin and the In-Line which are two different kinds of racing bikes.

No comments: