Friday, February 29, 2008

Hand operated Sliders

TC and I both ran a hand operated slider clutch in the 70's, TC's was the best. They were so hard to operate that TC had a alloy ring he slip over the handle bar and clutch lever until time for burn out and run. Mine was so hard to pull back I couldn't sqeeze it I had to jerk it back and take a hand full and hold it until I needed it. Man, my wrist would really be sore after a weekend of racing. And don't forget we didn't have wheelie bars to keep the front end on the ground, that was done with the slider. I've always wondered what my bike's would have done with wheelie bars, I really had to fight to keep the front end down. I can see the advandage of the wheelie bars, with the right adjustment you can put more weight on the rear wheel for more traction, WOW! And yes, I have watched the fuel bikes of today and the horse power is awsome, what a ride that must be.
Note: I never went up in smoke on a race run, TC didn't either but we could if we wanted to.

No comments: