Sunday, February 24, 2008

Special Thanks for Pictures Posted

Thanks, yeah that was 1975 when that picture of Danny and I was taken. That was prior to race Day during qualifying; I drew Danny on three of the runs that I turned over 180. Leo Payne, what can you say about that man, he was such a quiet person that sometimes you forgot he was around. He was a great tuner and rider in his time and I learned a lot from him about early day tuning. If it hadn’t been for Leo it would have taken me much longer to understand that I was running way to lean in volume, he was the one that help me to understand the word “lean” when it came to volume or percentage. He always said “you can’t lean a motor down with percentage’ you only add Black Death to pistons. He must have known what he was talking about because I could go a whole season without changing pistons on my singles just rings. He showed me how to remove any Black Death that you got just below the Oil Ring on the thrust side of the piston. He was a funny little guy to understand sometimes. In the very early days his big thing was street racing for money, not many knew about that, I learned some of his personal early life when he stayed at my house for a couple of weeks when he came to California to Match Race me and my Knucklehead at Irwindale. The nasty pictures, the one of the rear engine "nasty" with the Carb's is the one that started me thinking about retiring.

No comments: