Sunday, February 24, 2008

Did you ever try dual carbs on single motor

Yes, naturally my Knuckleheads had a Carburetor on each head. I started with I think they were M48’s, something like that, the early Brass Carb. They had cork floats that the nitro would eat the varnish off and they wouldn’t float any longer, I took the cork floats out and mounted Amal (?) floats beside the Carb and adjust the fuel level in the Harley bowl with them, worked alright; I went 149 MPH with them. Then I change to that early Sportster Carb that looked like the S&S looked when they came out with it. I Went 158 MPH, 9.30’s with them after extensive work to them. After that it was the Shovelhead with one Carb. I did put two rear heads and Cylinders on once with an S&S sticking out both sides mounted to the heads with stock intake O-ring and bands. That really worked except not with a four inch tire and I should have put a front rocker box on the front instead of leaving the rear one on there. I finally blew that engine trying Pete Jackson Injectors. The engine with the two S&S fuel carbs was so responsive I couldn’t do anything but smoke the tire with no control at all. Just sitting on the block in the pits and pop the throttle and that light front end would jump off the ground. I should have gone back to that later, but when you get something that works well you sometimes forget about other things.

No comments: