Sunday, February 24, 2008

About Knucklehead in 1956

That bike was a stock 74 Cu In with a race cam that didn't need any head work and a carb on each head that I fitted brass tubes to and had them oven brazed on and then I ported them. It went 105 MPH is all I remember. By 1958 it was an 80 Cu In with Robin Pistons, Barnett replacement clutch plates, a 550/16 Dunlop car tire out of a junk yard (they were natural gum rubber), automotive points, condenser and coil. I don't remember a lot, Oh yea, It raced under the name Smith and Johnson (Barn Job fame). It held a few Gas Records, best being 123 MPH, 11.08 ET and it had won Top Eliminator of the Day five times. Clem and I did some stuff to the carbs and one night at the very old Colton Drags we mixed 80 percent nitro and ran 10 runs over 138 best ET 10.80. In late 1958 I got hurt on the Barn Job and quit racing until 1963, raised some kids and was working for a Sail Plane out fit where I learn to Heli Weld, it's where I worked when I started racing again. I made and welded my first chassis before I quit there. That's the best I can remember without making this a book.

No comments: