Saturday, February 23, 2008

Match race at Freemont California

Yes that was Ron. That was a screwed up weekend. That was suppose to be a match race right off the trailer, that was the agreement with the track. Those guys talked the track into a tune up run. Ron got mad and wanted to make a single so I said OK. He was still upset when he made that burn out and he went way to far down the track. I used to make long ones when doing my exhibitions at the Nationals and they had to be handle just right. I'm running down to the bike yelling, don't touch the throttle but he couldn't hear me. Once he tried to clear it out that's when it let go. He was lucky he was standing up when it blew. I had the rear engine let go back east once. We were ready to make a run and some one flipped there bike on the line in front of us, and we had to shut down. I forgot to shut off the fuel petcocks and this was late at night, the air had really cooled down and one of the floats in the rear carb. collasped and fuel was running in the rear cylinder. I made a burn out and blipped the throttle to get the front end in the air going to the starting line and the rear engine blew, blowing me in the air about four foot above the bike, came down in a big ball of flame. I rolled off the bike OK, got busted up a little. People were running out on the starting line to grab parts to take home, I reached out and tripped some guy that had a cylinder and head wrapped in his shirt. Got every thing back but one D&D pushrod. That was a race I was at by myself and got some guy in the pits to help me. I wouldn't go to the hospital until they found this one guy that I knew a little better than most, told him where every thing was and what to do to put everything in the trailer and he came to the hospital. In the end every thing worked out OK except the right home. I was pretty sore the next morning.

No comments: