Saturday, February 23, 2008

When you making a run

Yes, I remember some of the guys doing that. I was at that track once, for a Truitt and Osborne all bike meet. The track paid me $400.00 to show up, when I got to the track we unloaded every thing, got it all set up in the pits. They had me drive my tow truck down the strip before every thing got started and during that drive my wife and I found the strip was to rough for the clearance on my double for safety. When we got back, I went to the tower and explained the situation. The manager understood and said that’s OK, he gave me the 400 which I tried to return but he wouldn’t take it. We went down to the pits and loaded everything up and were working our way out the pit area. Three guys walked up to the driver side and said, “aren’t you Joe Smith” I said yes and the one guy says “when are you going to make a run, we came all the way from Idaho to see you ”. I looked over at my wife, turned back and said, about 30 minutes. As it turned out I won Top Fuel that day, setting a new track record, broke the front chain guard mount, broke the left fuel tank mount in the back and broke the frame. One run I got into a wobble and almost went down. I was only at that track once, even thought they tried to get me back a couple times more.

No comments: