Sunday, February 24, 2008

No Cheating

Good posting and very knowledgeable about the timing system at the Drags. There was a guy in California that took care of the timing system at Irwindale Raceway that could talk about the lights just like that; every time they broke down he had them fixed real quick. Don’t remember his name but he use to haunt my truck for a can of “COLA” all the time.
Back in the old days when there was a flag guy instead of timing lights I became pretty good friends with the flag guy at Old San Gabriel Drag Strip. When that strip opened Steve Gibbs (NHRA) was the manager. The flag guy uses to visit my truck for a few cans of “COLA” every race day. Back then the top bike race the top car at the end of the Day for Top Eliminator of the Day. I raced in that a lot back then and it was just about always against “Gene’s Brake Shop” Flat Head Dragster, driver “John Bradley”. This car ran a blower and I never stood a chance. The Flag guy made me a deal that every time I raced against that car he would always point the Flag to me first and the minute he turned to go to him I was to go and he would wave a good start.
The Moral of this little story is “Cheating” can be the wrong way, I still never beat that Dragster

No comments: