Sunday, February 24, 2008

Exhibition Runs at the NHRA Nationals

When I started doing the Exhibition Runs at the NHRA Nationals that was number one on my Agenda, get away from being called Fuel Bike, A/Fuel Bike, AA/Fuel Bike or any other thing else like that. The Exhibitions for the NHRA was to educate the Spectator to Fuel Motorcycles. A lot of the Spectators that went to the NHRA Nationals didn’t go to a lot of other Drag Races and that was the Ideal, show them a Fuel Bike.
The first Exhibition was at the 1972 Winternationals and that was where I got them to start calling my bike a Top Fuel Motorcycle.
Exhibitions after that my bike was called a Top Fuel Motorcycle. I fought tooth and nail with a lot of Big Wigs the following years about that but won out with them all. My biggest enemy was Bob Daniels of the NHRA but he eventually came around. It was a match race (I’ll be damn if I can remember where) against a car and he brought me a NHRA staff lunch to my truck and after that every thing was OK.
Any way we became Top Fuel Motorcycles with the NHRA!

No comments: