Saturday, February 23, 2008

Color Burnout Water

Earlier in a quote about sliding back on the seat to keep the front end down I mention some thing about color water and Leo. I like to tell you about that:
Every one at this time was using special compounds (VHT) to burnout in to get the best traction from the rear tire; you could buy it from many dealers. Some of the big known Dragsters and Funny car drivers used some that they picked up at the company that was a little better compound, I had some of that too. Does anybody remember Chitown Hustler (spelling)? It was known for its great long burnouts. It was a Funny Car that every time it went to the line, my Son, Gene would be right behind it on the starting line, he loved to watch it. One Saturday night at Irwindale Raceway he watched it, came back to the pits excited and said guess what, Chitown uses water for those burnouts. At this time no one used water, few used bleach. So, that night I tried some water, it worked better that the special burnout compound. The next few Saturday’s I came to Irwindale with a plastic gallon bottle with WATER except it would have food coloring dye in it. Each time a different color, green, red, blue, etc. One time when Leo was there, and we were in line to buy some food and I could see my pit area from the snack bar. I happen to look over and I see Leo walk up and sit on the tail gate of my truck, no big deal he had been doing it all day. He sit there looking around, reached behind to that water bottle, took off the lid, tipped it over to spill a little in his hand, put his hand under his nose, sniffed the water and then tasted it. He put the lid back on and left. In all the years I knew Leo, that was as funny as he ever got and I never told him that I had watched that little scene.

No comments: