Saturday, February 23, 2008

I know this is not a very good picture, but there wasn't many taken and it's the only one I can find.

This is a project that no one ever knew about. It was Harley Davidson's ideal and the fairing was from Wixom Fairings. It was a job mounting it so it didn't fall off, and if it works there will be a new one that will cover clear back to the rear wheel. We went Irwindale raceway on a Monday . I made a couple slow passes to check how it handled. It was OK even though it seems to wander a little and going at a slower speed it was hard to keep upright. We checked every thing over, fueled the tanks with a 86% mix and fired the engine. I actually got a great burn out which was a little surprising, staged, got the green and got off to a good start. It was easier to handle at higher speed, but when I got to where the opening is in the spectator stands, there was a wind left to right. I didn't think I would ever get to a stop without falling over. I could feel on the run that the thing was working until the wind caught me, I tried on each run to correct the wind tilt without much success. We tried three runs that day with the same problem, cross wind. At the meeting back at the shop I told every one that it was a bad Ideal. Just about every place I could think have had a cross wind sometime or the other.
I had other projects that were scrapped. In 1975 I was building a new double that you sit in. The great thing was the hydraulic skids that held it up at the starting line and stabilized it in the shut down area. It would have been spectacular at night, and was manually activated so not to damage the track. I was building the jig table when I got a call from the NHRA. They were looking forward to seeing it run but I could only run it as an exhibition bike. I wanted to race it, so I didn't build it.

No comments: