Saturday, February 23, 2008

Being Intense and Free Spark Plugs

Being intense was part of IT! It was a lot harder beating all bikes than all bikes trying to beat one. Races was what I was trying to win, respect is what I wanted just as I showed others, and friends, I had some very good friends at the drag races. Speed secrets were part of the game in those days, you couldn't buy much speed, you had to come up with something that put you out in front and then try to stay there.
Spark plugs, I used to give them away to the spectators, should have ask me and I would have given you a set. I had a bike club at a race back east that wanted a set for there club house to put over there door but wouldn't let me give them any they wanted to pay for them. Gave me a $100.00 for the set in the front motor, $50.00 for a shop rag that was laying on the bike and you could have had them for nothing. You should have asked me?? Spectators are your biggest speed secret, inside your head. After all, winning is one part, thrill the spectators too and you've done it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm just an old guy that use to know how to do it and like to talk about it. Today’s racer is way ahead of my time and I know that.
By the way, my spark plug was an extended electrode, very hot, ran a lot of volume thru the carb and never over 90 %. My jet size was .512 and nozzle larger, high gear ratio was 273 to 1 even if it was a two speed. I depended on low end toque to do the work,

No comments: