Friday, February 22, 2008

Looking for old friends

G’day, Joe K.
Finally, I’ve been looking for a lot of my old friends. Thanks for helping find this particular person for me. I knew he lived in New Mexico, I seen and talk to him at Bowling Green at the last Reunion, I had a few addresses and such and lost them between there and home. Boris and I were, I believe, the first motorcycle people to set a match race team and tour the country. We had a lot of great races together. I don’t know about him but it was one of my favorite years in drag racing. It was low bucks all the way and sometimes we were calling every drag strip in the US trying to set up a race. Back in those days NHRA put out a small book with a list of all the NHRA Sanctioned drag strip, it listed the attitude, length of strip including stopping distant, phone number. I remember that every one we called to see if we could set up a race that the length was very important to us, some of the strips around in those days were sometime to short for safe stopping. Most of the calling was done by his wife; she was as I remember very good at it. We had some races you would not believe the reception we had from some, they all sure stuck in my mind. We wowed the spectators so much in Portland Oregon that they had us back the next week. Traveling we stayed in the cheapest Motels and Camp Grounds we could find, did a lot of “ throw another on the Barbie” drank a lot of beer, had a great time. Thanks again, I will right away send him a e-mail, see if I can get him in on this thread, maybe tell about some of the match races we had..

No comments: