Sunday, March 23, 2008

Top Fuel Bikes are Bigger today

Hi ya Pup,
Yes, the Fuel Bikes back then were a lot smaller. When I went to Vegas to watch them for the first time in 30 years I couldn't believe how big they were. My First Eight Second Bike weighted 305 dry with the engine and Trans as far back as you could get and have tire clearance but that was with a stock Harley Trans with nothing in it but High Gear. Over the years I never weight it but it did get heavier because of the different Trans, clutch, rear wheel and tire, etc.

The Double weighted 580 when I first built it but gained weight in the two years I raced it. Back then weight was so important that ever nut and bolt I could replace was alloy. There was a big Hardware (warehouse) in Los Angeles where they had everything like that you could buy at 40 cents a pound, it’s also where I always bought my Fuel Shut off valves, they were all Army and Navy Surplus and really cheap. The place was so big that the first time I went to buy something I was there all afternoon and never seen it all.

My Single was so light I could put the front end in the back of my Pickup myself, needed help to lift the rest in. Yes, they were small and light back then, what a ride.

No comments: