Friday, March 7, 2008

Cost, Cost, and Cost

I don't know Chris, any monies that is paid out seems it pretty much the same as it's always been, it's expected to be paid from the track. It ain't going to happen. I know that when I was racing there wasn't enough money coming from the manufactures . You can take the big performance Cycle as one example, the Harley guys have made them rich. I knew Sr. pretty good and was around in the beginning and watch that family prosper, don't get me wrong, that's the American way but still there was not enough done toward payouts to the racers. I can't complain, I never had to pay for any thing I ever used of theres. They're not the only ones that fit in that category, there was quite a few. Even the journalist that wrote the stories for the different magazine made money off our names, what we got was the glory, which I ate up just like everyone else. And still the more Ink you got, the more popular you were with the racing fans. So where does it end, the answer has been ask since Drag Racing started to be more professional and cost more money. I think that it has got to the point just like all racing, to do it you must be wealthy or have some really good backers.

When I was racing my motors hardly cost me a dime but if you wanted to buy one it would cost you seven or eight thousand dollars (back then). That's how some racers have kept racing and don't spend the money a lot of others do, the ones that have a name that's worth money in action and print spent less money. Today some of that has changed with crew chief, tire guy, blower guy, bottom end guy, head guy, etc.etc. I hate to be the one that has to pay every thing that makes a race team work.

It looks like every one is going to have to try and work with some track close to home and get some thing going because of cost. I see where the Harley guys were invited to run in Sacramento with the "Other" bikes, I seen a add someplace on it

No comments: